“How was gym today?” is a question every gym parent wants to ask their kid on the car ride home.
Unfortunately this age-old, open-ended question loses it’s importance when the word “fine” become the oh-so common answer. Here is a list of 25 questions to ask your athlete (not all in the same day of course), that will provide some welcome variety to you and your athlete!
PRINTABLE CONVERSATION STARTER NOTECARDS FOUND BELOW
(1) Ask questions to spark communication, not to interrogate.
(2) Listen. Let her work out her thoughts before you interject.
(3) Validate. Validate her feelings and thoughts. Share your own assertions if needed.
(4) Keep the big picture in mind. What life lesson is she learning from her reflection.
(5) Foster a love for the sport. Sometimes it’s just about having fun. And that’s an important part of the activity!
1. What were you most proud of accomplishing at gym today?
2. What was the hardest part of your workout today?
3. Did any specific corrections stand out to you today? And why?
4. What did you do that made you an awesome teammate today?
5. What muscles do you think worked the hardest today?
6. Were you proud of any of your teammates today?
7. Who was a great example to you today? And why?
8. What was the funniest thing about gymnastics today?
9. If you could have worked only one skill today, what would it have been?
10. What was your favorite assignment today?
11. Pick one word to describe today’s workout.
12. On a scale of 1 to 10 how hard did you work today?
13. On a scale of 1 to 10 how much did you love workout today?
14. Pick one word to describe your attitude during workout.
15. What was the best thing about Beam today?
16. What was the best thing about Bars today?
17. What was the best thing about Floor today?
18. What was the best thing about Vault today?
19. If you weren’t at workout today, what would you have missed?
20. What did you learn from your mistakes today?
21. Who inspired you at the gym today?
22. Right now, why are you glad you are a gymnast?
23. Did anything funny happen at gymnastics today?
24. What skills will you be doing in your dreams tonight?
25. What weaknesses did you work towards turning into strengths today?